Tuesday, August 4

perks of being a child of God

One of the perks of being a child of God and not a grown-up of God is that He makes it a lot easier to see Him.

It's late. Perhaps that didn't make sense. What I mean is, I feel like I'm so young in our relationship and that there's so much I don't understand yet. So in His great compassion He tries to spell things out for me as obviously as He can.

For example: instead of telling me He loves me by letting me read and hear about it, He showers me with gifts and affection. Not just intangible gifts for the spiritually mature, like wisdom and peace. He chooses to reveal His abundant generosity by also giving me things that I can see and feel and touch even in my weak moments when I forget to look for Him.

Gift #1: a serving job at a great restaurant that beats the snot out of dying behind a desk for 7 hours a day. Thanks, Keith, for being the conduit for God's generosity on this one.

Gifts #2-8: I was fired 2 weeks ago. I have enough money to pay for 2 months' expenses (if I eat very cheaply/little). For the past week, every single day I have been provided a huge, free meal. It hasn't been planned. Just every day someone spontaneously offers (i.e. God speaks and provides through them) to feed Dan and me and usually Amy too. I don't mean they sent us each a happy meal. I mean we ate until we were about to burst, and then had leftovers for the next day's lunch too. Essentially, I've been eating for free for a week. And I checked my bank activity and I've only spent about $23 in the past 2 weeks.

Gift #9: My fuel light came on today. Our best friend's wonderful mother not only bought groceries for dinner, but filled my tank with gas.

Gift #10: I was doing side work after my shift wondering about (what else is new) my income. My boss observed me chatting with his 4-year-old daughter and asked me if I'd be willing to consider babysitting.

All that, and I go to bed at night full and happy in an air-conditioned house. So thanks, Father, for choosing to love on me in all these ways: big and small, invisible and visible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Together

Happy Together
I could see me lovin' nobody but you for all my life.