Monday, March 22

Follow Me to Freedom 5

Follow Me to Freedom: leading & following as an ordinary radical
Conversation 7, page 104
Would I do this even if I didn't get paid--because it is worth doing, because I believe in it?  What we do needs to ignite such a fire in us that we can't just watch someone suffer.  [...] Out of people doing what they love comes the fruit.  I remember one time hearing a reporter tell Mother Teresa, "I wouldn't do what you do for a million dollars."  And she shot back, "I wouldn't either... but I'd do it because it matters to God."

What's our reaction when someone is suffering?  How I am responding to my  insecure friend, a hungry beggar, an unsponsored child, another social outcast?  How does my heart answer their cries for help?  Do I take grace-fueled action or simply feel bad for them?

Lord, light such a fire in my heart as to destroy all fear, laziness, and complacency.  It's not enough for me to cry with God's hurting children... it's not enough to pray for them in the comfort of my little home.  If I really want to unite myself to Your work, I have to get out of bed, put on my work boots, and go help, go comfort, go love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Together

Happy Together
I could see me lovin' nobody but you for all my life.