Thursday, August 5

Arizona and California

I listen to NPR en route to work every morning. Yes, it leans a little closer to liberal than it did before.. but I'm not concerned. It's my only time to listen to news and I like the programs.

There's a lot of fuss and trouble over 2 things: California's gay marriage stand and Arizona's illegal immigrant stand.

1. California's gay marriage.

No, as a Christian I do not believe a same-sex couple will be married in my church. I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman who have committed themselves to each other and God. However, I do not impose this belief on others. If we require that couples follow the Christian requirement for marriage, where do we draw the line? Are we to require everyone to attend church on Sunday, have a Bible in their home, tithe? Where do you draw the line? Maybe I'm oversimplifying it, but there ought to be a separation of church doctrine and state law--until we all can agree on what church doctrine to follow universally.

2. Arizona's illegal immigrants.

I heard a woman (well, her translator) crying about how unfair it is for her to be asked for documents proving her authorization to be in the United States. Admitttedly, she is in our country illegally. She thinks it is unfair that that if she is pulled over while driving (without a license) she should have to provide such identification.

Let's forget her for a moment. Let's say I, an American citizen, am pulled over for going a little too fast. I would be asked to provide identification and license to drive the vehicle, proving that I have been certified to travel on our state-funded roads. If I were to forget my license somewhere, I would be fined and punished for driving without a license. There are consequences for my being without proper identification, and I am an American-born citizen. There are going to be consequences for everyone else as well, citizen or not. It's not racist, and it's not unjust. Our country requires that individuals pass driver's education and prove that they understand traffic signs, directions, and laws. That is the requirement, and it's a fair one. You have to provide proper license to drive. You must provide proper ID to take advantage of tax-funded services such as roads and public schools.

I am a first-generation American citizen. My parents worked a lot harder to get here than just walking across a border--they flew from a third world country halfway across the world. If they can sacrifice and work and be here legally, than so can everyone else. It's ridiculous to expect a country to bend its laws for you when you do not pay taxes for the privileges you enjoy. Yes, citizenship is a long, sometimes tiresome process. But if someone wants to call this place home, I believe it is worth it. And I'm so thankful that my parents came from a third world country on the other side of the world so that their children could have a better life. And I am thankful that they did it legally, and taught me to love this country and respect its laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Together

Happy Together
I could see me lovin' nobody but you for all my life.