Wednesday, November 24

a lesser-known wedding song

In "The Last 5 Years", the song "For the Next Ten Minutes" begins as they are about to recite their vows.  I forgot how much I loved that little one-act play, and particularly this song, until it randomly popped up on Wikipedia.

CATHERINE:

I am not always on time.  Please don't expect that from me.
I will be late, but if you can just wait, I will make it eventually.

Not like it's in my control, not like I'm proud of the fact,
But anything other than being exactly on time, I can do.

I don't know why people run. I don't know why things fall through.
I don't know how anybody survives in this life without someone like you.
I could protect and preserve, I could say no and goodbye, but why, Jamie, why?

I want to be your wife.  I want to bear your child.
I want to die knowing I lived a long, full life in your arms.
That I can do, forever, with you.

[They are standing at the altar together.]

JAMIE: (CATHERINE:)

Will you share your life with me (Forever.)
For the next ten lifetimes? (Forever, Jamie...)
For a million summers

BOTH:

'Til the world explodes,
'Til there's no one left
Who has ever known us apart!

There are so many dreams I need to see with you.
There are so many years I need to be with you.

I will never be complete.
I will never be alive--
I will never change the world until I do.

CATHERINE:

I do.


JAMIE:

I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Together

Happy Together
I could see me lovin' nobody but you for all my life.