Wednesday, February 23

waiting & perspective

Waiting at home to hear if we've been laid off is weird.

The house is silent except for my humming laptop.  I'm in my favorite chair, enjoying the peace I've prayed for for years.  Several months ago, if I'd been told our main source of income was up in the air, if I knew just how little information we'd have and how little we could plan, I'd be mid-major freakout.  I love my calendar and I love being able to look months ahead and know exactly what we'll be doing, where we'll be traveling, even what I'll be making for dinner.  Generally I do not love wondering where the hell we will be in six months.

The first round of layoffs at the DoE site began today.  After D left for work, I went to happy hour with brother- & sister-in-law and a few others to celebrate their retained jobs.  Now I'm back at home, calmly wondering what exactly I'm supposed to do with the information we have (or lack thereof).

My perspective is this: bottom line, God is always faithful and never surprised.  We could get laid off tonight, or D could work at the Site for the next 5 years.  God has always provided and we trust in His providence, therefore the job itself does not matter.  As much as I would like to be able to plan our immediate future a little better, I'm okay with not knowing right now.  Maybe in a few minutes some of the old panic will set in.  For now, I'm resting gratefully in the peace God has given me in lieu of detailed information.  Please join me in praying that we will keep the right perspective in all this, and that we will humbly and gratefully accept whatever He chooses to give us.


In the quiet
In the stillness
I know that You are God
In the secret of Your presence
I know there I am restored
When You call i won't refuse
Each new day again I'll choose


There is no one else for me
None but Jesus
Crucified to set me free
Now I live to bring Him praise


In the chaos in confusion
I know You're sovereign still
In the moment of my weakness
You give me grace to do Your will
When You call I won't delay
This my song through all my days


All my delight is in You Lord
All of my hope
All of my strength
All my delight is in You Lord
Forever more
- "None But Jesus"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Together

Happy Together
I could see me lovin' nobody but you for all my life.